A Letter from the Executive Director
December 1, 2013
This has been an amazing year for Asian Community Development Corporation. Increased capacity of our staffing and support of our family, friends, and partners helped make it all happen. However, there are still funding gaps and ACDC needs your help. We hope to reach $7,500 by the end of this month and we are halfway there. Your support strengthens our efforts to achieve our mission to serve the Asian American community of Greater Boston in developing physical community assets, promoting economic development, fostering leadership development, building capacity, and advocating for our community. Please make a donation today to support Asian CDC programs and operations.
Checkout this year’s 2013 highlights:
- One Greenway, formerly known as Parcel 24 began construction in November. This public-private venture with the New Boston Fund will create 362 much needed, new homes. It is the only mixed income development with 40% affordable units in Boston’s downtown core.
- For our homebuyer program, our housing counselors, Lee and May, have worked around the clock to provide our HUD- certified first-time homebuyer workshop to 497 individuals this year. This brings our total number of graduates since program inception to more than 1,000. ACDC has the only multilingual Chinese first-time homebuyer workshop in New England. We have helped more than 65 families become first-time homeowners.
The Asian CDC board of directors has adopted a new agency mission that continues our previous work but with a greater emphasis on placemaking and regional expansion to better address the growing needs of Asian Americans in Greater Boston.
This year Asian CDC received certification by the City of Boston as a Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO).
- Asian CDC was one of the first CDCs to be certified by the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development, allowing us to apply for the Community Investment Tax Credit (CITC). In 2014 the CITC offers our donors to amplify their impact in building a stronger Chinatown and API community through ACDC’s work.
We have engaged our residents and volunteers to activate our Oak Terrace Apartments with The Reading Room that provides neighbor to neighbor ESL conversation groups and a safe space to study and read or meet neighbors.
- The newest property in ACDC’s portfolio is Tremont Village one of only two state-owned public housing properties in Boston’s highly desired urban core. ACDC has been designated by the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development as the redeveloper to refinance and undertake significant renovations that prioritize life safety, energy efficiency, and quality of life items.
- An ACDC Community Advisory Board each for Malden and Quincy was created to address the growing needs of our Asian American community in Greater Boston.
- The ACDC Chinatown Walking Tour was redesigned and now includes an optional dining experience that has proven very popular.
- Our inaugural gourmet dim sum breakfast, HEART of the COMMUNITY, welcomed 270 guests and raised $100,000.
- We celebrated the 10th annual Golf Getaway at the Lake Winnipesaukee Golf Club.
We are proud to serve our clients and are warmed by their appreciation as noted by Chun-Hau Chen at our 2013 Annual Meeting and Dinner:
CHOP is very important for teaching people about homebuying because we cannot learn about it in high school or college. Adults need to learn how to manage their money. Lee’s diligence helped me buy my first home in East Boston. I was fortunate to find someone who can speak Mandarin. I am very grateful for Lee and will let people know to ask her for help.
Please help us now with a generous donation to continue our programs and operations. Just to give you an idea:
- $ 1,500 enables one youth to participate in ACDC’s A-VOYCE Summer Youth Program
- $ 500 supports one workshop for placemaking activities with ACDC residents
- $ 100 covers the cost of supplies and materials for a homebuyer workshop
- $ 50 provides a stipend to a youth tour guide for an ACDC Chinatown Walking Tour
A gift of any size is truly appreciated. Thank you for your support! Best wishes for a happy holiday and a healthy and prosperous new year!
P.S. Please remember to GIVE TODAY. Thank you for your support!